Sunday, December 27, 2009

Medical Transcription or Medical Coding?

I'm in school right now taking medical transcription and medical coding classes. I just started both and in the beginning I was set on going with medical transcription. Now that I have started transcribing reports it is very hard to understand some of the physicians. It's very frustrating and I feel like giving up. I have the option to take both courses or drop one if I don't like it. I don't know what to do. Any advice on medical coding or medical transcription from people who are working as coders or transcriptionists would be greatly appreciated!!Medical Transcription or Medical Coding?
the normal line is that you really need to be doing medical transcription first to have a true understanding... I do know a few people who started out first in coding, but who had years of training and had a good coder teacher....





I work as a transcriptionist and have for 10 years. It's harder than people think. It's NOT easy... You are NOT just ';typing';. There is definitely a lot to learn... so my advice is to take your time learning, the speed will come later. Coding is something you could do later, though you could try that out if you desired.





any questions.. email meMedical Transcription or Medical Coding?
For me, I think you should continue. It is actually hard at first but once you get the feel of it, it would be easier you just have to practice a lot and read a lot of medical terminologies as it would greatly help you in your medical vocabularies.





You have to take things one step at a time.





But if you think this field is really not for you then its your decision to make. Choose a career that you enjoy and not because you have to. In that way you'll be eager to learn.
My advise is that you should not drop, you have to continue. Medical transcription is very useful if you want to work from home.





Medical coding job will give you very good financial returns, but no home jobs.





There is nothing impossible in this world if you have intesterst in it. In the initial stage, dictations will look like fast, try involve yourself in dictation and patient details, slowly you will get accustrum to it.
I am currently taking online classes for 3 different things..Medical transcription, medical claims and billing, medical and dental assistant..I want to have all 3 certificates cause it'll look good on a resume and I should be able to find a job pretty easy...If I were you I would stick it out and get certified for both..that'll help you out in the long run and look better on resumes..if its hard and you can tell your not going to like it at least you'll know not to apply for that job anywhere! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment